Thursday, October 6, 2016

About this Blog

I decided to start this blog for a couple reasons. First, I believe I have a lot of good information to share. I have worked as an educator in one way or another my entire adult life.
I raised 2 children. We all know that parenting requires quite a bit of teaching. Johnny ... don't touch the hot stove or it will hurt! Jane ... if you eat the garden slugs you will get a tummy ache! And, unfortunately, Johnny and Jane don't listen much better than our students do and end up learning everything the hard way. Raise your hand now if you resemble that model! Other areas where I have been a teacher include running a church youth group, being a classroom parent, training adults in computer skills, and 15 plus years as a classroom teacher.

Another reason I decided to write is that after working for years to obtain a doctoral degree in educational leadership, I would like to be an educational leader. I have applied for many positions that interested me, but it seems that most of the work that I am drawn to follows the "publish or perish" mindset. 

Personally, I am not in love with the idea of publishing. While I do enjoy writing, publishing requires that I spend a great number of hours researching and writing material that only 3 people will ever read ... and those 3 would only read it to get a source for their own research. This whole system does not appeal to me.

So, I decided to blog instead. My plan is to publish weekly articles. Reality may keep that from happening but it is the plan. The articles will all be written so that they can be read in 5 minutes or less as we are all very busy people.

I am hoping that readers will leave evocative comments to these posts. As an educator, I strongly believe that you should never stop learning. I would agree to a "learn or perish" mandate long before "publish or perish."

Having Educating!

No comments:

Post a Comment